FAQs

This page lists some of the most Frequently Asked Questions. If there is another question you would like to see listed here please comment below or email us.

When does OR2012 take place?
OR2012 runs from Monday 9th July 2012 until Friday 13th July 2012. The current version of the programme can be found here. Workshops take place all day Monday and Tuesday morning, then the main programme runs over the Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Finally User Groups take place on Thursday afternoon and Friday.

In addition to the formal events there are also several social events accompanying OR2012. There is a drinks reception on Tuesday 10th July at 6:00pm in Playfair Library and the conference Dinner takes place at the National Museum of Scotland at 7:30pm on Wednesday 11th July.

Return to list of FAQs

What are the arrangements for internet access?

There is Wifi throughout the University of Edinburgh George Square campus through two routes. Users of either wifi option should be aware of the University of Edinburgh Computing Regulations.

Eduroam is available and accessible throughout the buildings so Eduroam should be able to login with their usual details. You can also find further support information on using Eduroam at the University here.

University of Edinburgh free wifi guest accounts will be available at OR2012 – please ask at the registration desk for more information and your guest login details. Your login details will also tell you how to connect to the local wifi network, likely to be  “Central” in our main venue Appleton Tower.

Return to list of FAQs

What is the correct format for Posters?
If you have had a poster accepted you should have already received an email confirming the appropriate format which is:

• Poster should be A0 size, portrait orientation. e-versions should be PDF.
  • Posters should be with registration desk by 1pm Tuesday so that we can mount them for the Tuesday pm poster session
  • We’ll include thumbnails of posters in the programme if they are submitted in time.

Return to list of FAQs

Where do I send my Poster?
If you have had a Poster accepted for Open Repositories 2012 you should post it to arrive before the deadline, Sunday 24th June 2012.  Posters should be send to:

Ms Florance Kennedy
Administrator, OR2012
The University of Edinburgh
Level 7, Appleton Tower
Crichton Street
EDINBURGH
EH8 9LE

You can submit your poster later than this or bring it with you but we cannot guarantee it will be included/that details will be complete in printed or digital materials given to delegates.

Return to list of FAQs

What is the conference tag/hashtag?
If you are tweeting, blogging, or posting images, etc. online then please use the conference tag/hashtag #or2012 so that we can link to and highlight your comments. If you have an specific practical questions you can also use the #or2012info hashtag. You can find out more about taking part in our social media presences here.

Return to list of FAQs

I am one of the Speakers, where can I find more information on how to prepare?
We have a page of Information for Speakers that should help clear up any questions you may have about sending us your slides/presentation materials, arrangements on the day, etc. You should also have received a copy of this by email.

Return to list of FAQs

I am one of the Session Chairs, where can I find out more about how this will work during the event?
We have put together a page of Information for Session Chairs that we hope you will find helpful. You should also have received a copy of this by email.

Return to list of FAQs

I am one of the Workshop Organisers, how can I find out more about the arrangements for the workshops?
We have created a page of Guidance for Workshop Organisers that explains the set up for workshops on the Monday and Tuesday of OR2012. You should also have received a copy of this by email.

Return to list of FAQs

Where do I go if I have any questions during the conference?
We have a well signposted Registration Desk set up in the Appleton Tower concourse and the people staffing the desk will be happy and able to help you with any questions about the conference, accommodation, where to find things in Edinburgh, etc. Bear in mind that at some times the desk will be very busy with registrations.

Return to list of FAQs

I have to bring my bag with me on the day I leave, is there somewhere I can leave it?
If you ask at the Conference Registration Desk, in the Appleton Tower concourse, they will be able to give you access to a locked room within the Appleton Town Concourse where your bags can be left securely until you leave.

Return to list of FAQs